Public Safety Dispatcher/ Records Officer
*Applications must be received or postmarked by 5:00 PM on Friday August 1, 2014.
*The POST Dispatch Exam will be held on August 18th. Please plan ahead.
*The Oral Panels will be held on September 1st and 2nd.
Thank you for considering MPD as your choice for a career. We are a world class organization proudly serving a world class community. Just as the county of Yuba and other surrounding unique communities are rich with history and overflowing with constant change and growth, so is the Marysville Police Department. We are building an organization of outstanding individuals focused on excellence in everything we do.
We are looking for exceptional individuals to join our team. Individuals who are committed to working with their community in total partnership as we work together to improve the quality of life for everyone who works, lives and plays in our county. We are a diversified police department that fully embraces the philosophy of community oriented policing and merges that with our primary focus of creating a safe and secure community. We are a crime-fighting organization focused on rooting out that small group of individuals among us who break the law.
Take a hard look at our organization: if you are truly committed to making a difference in people’s lives and looking to live a life of service within a high-performing agency in a community that loves and respects its police department, consider joining us.
Under immediate supervision, the individual selected will operate police and fire dispatch telecommunications equipment performing a variety of clerical and records tasks in the support of a municipal law enforcement and fire agency.
Experience and Education
This position requires English language usage, spelling, punctuation, and grammar, as well as the ability to learn and apply rules and procedures involved in maintaining police and fire records and files. Applicants must type at a correct rate of 30 words per minute, and learn to operate radio, telephone, and teletype equipment. Applicants must be able to understand and carry out oral and written direction, establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work, and remain calm in an emergency situation.
Education and training may be any combination equivalent to the experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities to perform the job. Applicants must possess a high school diploma or equivalent, a valid California driver’s license, and valid vehicle insurance.
Full Time Compensation & Benefits
- Salary – The City of Marysville has a five-step salary plan for regular employees. The current salary is $2,410 - $2,930 monthly for full time.
- Additional compensation for Training Officer and POST Certification.
- Longevity Pay
- $800/year uniform allowance
- Annual Leave (Vacation and sick Leave combined) – Annual leave is accrued based on length of service, with beginning accrual at 18 hours per month.
- Health Plan – The City provides a generous allowance for health, dental, vision and life insurance. Health insurance is currently provided through Tri-County Schools Insurance Group. Dental and vision care are provided by the City of Marysville through a self-insured plan.
- Long term disability and life insurance are provided through Standard Life Insurance.
- Short Term Disability/Social Security – The City of Marysville does not participate in State Disability Insurance (SDI) or Social Security, except for Federal Medicare.
- Holidays – Employees receive 12 paid holidays per year accrued at a rate of 8 hours per month. Employees assigned to ongoing shift work in dispatch or patrol receive pay for these holidays in lieu of time off by receiving one paid holiday per month.
- Retirement – The employee pays the 7% employee and 5% employer contributions to Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) 2% at 55 plan. New PERS Rate effective 1/1/13, 2% at 62 plan.
- Deferred Compensation – The City offers a voluntary Deferred Compensation Plan.
- Pay rate: $13.25/hr
The selection process may consist of an application screening, written test, an oral interview, interview by the Chief of Police, or any combination of these to establish an employment list. It will be necessary to pass a background investigation, as well as a medical examination, drug screening, and a psychological evaluation by physicians selected by the City of Marysville. The probationary period for this position is eighteen months. Prior to appointment with the City of Marysville, it will be necessary to provide proof of United States citizenship or authorization to work in the United States. Lateral applicants are not required to take a written test.
Applications are accepted on a continual basis you are encouraged to apply at any time. Candidates will be screened and selected for a panel interview as positions become available.
In addition to a City of Marysville Application, you must include your resumé and a typing certificate indicating you are capable of typing 30wpm or more. Please submit your completed application packet in person or mail to:
City of Marysville
Finance and Administration Department
526 C Street
Marysville, CA 95901